An antigen-antibody complex, also known as an immune complex, is a molecular structure formed when an antibody binds to its specific target antigen. This interaction is a fundamental process in the immune system's response to infections and foreign invaders. Here's a detailed explanation of antigen-antibody complexes:
Antibodies (Immunoglobulins): Antibodies are proteins produced by the immune system in response to the presence of antigens (foreign substances like pathogens or toxins). Each antibody is highly specific, recognizing and binding to a particular antigen.
Antigens: Antigens are molecules or molecular structures that can trigger an immune response. They are often found on the surface of pathogens (such as bacteria, viruses, or fungi) or can be non-self molecules, like allergens or foreign proteins.
Formation of Antigen-Antibody Complexes:
1. Recognition and Binding: When the immune system encounters an antigen, B cells and their secreted antibodies (immunoglobulins) play a central role. Antibodies have binding sites that are highly specific to a particular antigen. When an antibody encounters its matching antigen, it binds to it through a lock-and-key mechanism, forming an antigen-antibody complex.
2. Neutralization: One of the primary functions of antigen-antibody complexes is to neutralize pathogens. By binding to the antigen, antibodies can prevent the pathogen from attaching to host cells, disrupting its ability to infect or cause harm. This neutralization effect is essential in protecting the host.
3. Opsonization: Antibodies can also tag pathogens for destruction by immune cells, a process known as opsonization. The immune complex acts as a signal that marks the pathogen for phagocytosis (engulfment) by white blood cells like macrophages and neutrophils.
4. Agglutination: In some cases, antibodies can cause pathogens to clump together, a process known as agglutination. This clumping makes it easier for immune cells to recognize and remove the larger particles.
5. Precipitation: In solution, the formation of antigen-antibody complexes can lead to the precipitation of the complex out of the solution, making it easier for the immune system to remove the precipitated complexes.
Diagnosis and Immunological Reactions:
Antigen-antibody complexes are widely used in diagnostic tests, such as ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) and Western blotting, to detect the presence of specific antibodies or antigens in biological samples. They are also involved in various immunological reactions, including hypersensitivity reactions (allergic responses) and autoimmune diseases, where the immune system mistakenly forms complexes against the body's own antigens.
In summary, antigen-antibody complexes are the cornerstone of the immune system's ability to recognize, neutralize, and eliminate foreign invaders. They play a vital role in immunity, diagnostics, and the understanding of various immunological processes.
• Related Publications: Enhanced uptake of blood coagulation factor VIII containing immune complexes by antigen presenting cells (genscript.com)
GenSmart Optimization is a free online tool for performing codon optimization to improve gene expression. GenScript's patented algorithms are integrated into the tool to optimize the computing capability of high-performance sequence generation.
GenSmart™ Design is a free online DNA construct design tool developed by GenScript. GenSmart™ Design has two design modules, the Create Construct module for individual plasmid design and the Create Library module for DNA library design.
This online tool shows commonly used genetic codon frequency table in expression host organisms including Escherichia coli and other common host organisms.
Antibody Production Services
Comprehensive custom antibody production services including monoclonal and polyclonal antibody production services with industry leading turnaround times.
Polyclonal Antibody Services
The fastest custom polyclonal antibody production services in the industry with unmatched guarantees.
Custom Monoclonal Antibody Development Services
Developing custom monoclonal antibodies with standard or fully custom protocols including everything from antigen synthesis to antibody scale-up options.
Phospho-Specific Antibody Services
Guaranteed ELISA titer of ≥ 1:64,000 and < 10% cross reactivity with non-phospho peptide.
Immunoassay Development Services
Our custom immunoassay development service offering comprehensive high-throughput assay development with fast turnaround and high efficiency.
Large-scale Antibody Manufacturing
Our large-scale antibody manufacturing services offer polyclonal and monoclonal antibody production of gram quantities for industrial antibody yields.
COVID-19 Reagent Antibodies
On demand SARS-CoV-2 control mAbs ideal for diagnostics, therapeutic, and vaccine development.
If you know of any terms that have been omitted from this glossary that you feel would be useful to include, please send detail to the Editorial Office at GenScript: [email protected]